Andrew Jameton, PhD
Professor Emeritus, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Member, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Member, Health Professionals for a Healthy Climate (Minnesota)
Dr. Jameton's main area of interest is the philosophy and ethics of environmental health. He is currently teaching and conducting research on global ethical issues in health care and public health, such as equality, environment, ecological medicine, and global climate change.
Dr. Jameton serves on the Medical Ethics Committee, the Institutional Review Board, the Ethics Consultation Service, and the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. He serves on several committees in the College of Public Health, including planning committees for a Center in Ethics and Humanities, and a possible Public Health MSIA PhD. He is a co-founder and board member of City Sprouts, a community gardening and sustainability education project.
PhD Philosophy, 1972, University of Washington
BA Psychology, 1965, Harvard University
- Pierce, J. & Jameton, A. (2021) The Role of Bioethics in Adapting the U.S. Health Care System to Climate Change. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine (forthcoming Fall 2021).
- Bower, A., Tsai, KL., Ryan, CS., Anderson, R., Jameton, A., Godfrey, M. 2018. “The Luck of the Draw: A Programmatic Description of a Game Designed to Promote Student Engagement and Critical Thinking Skills.” JSO: Journal of STEM Outreach 1: 1-5. doi: https://doi.org/10.15695/jstem/v1i1.8.
- Jameton, A. 2017. “What Moral Distress in Nursing History Could Suggest about the Future of Health Care.” AMA Journal of Ethics 19(6): 617-628.
- Jameton, A. 2017. “The Importance of Physician Climate Advocacy in the Face of Political Denial.” AMA Journal of Ethics 19(12):122-1237. doi: 10.1001/journalofethics.2017.19.12.sect1-1712.
- Jameton, A. 2016. "Time Frames for Saving the Planet." Ethics, Policy, and Environment 19(2): 136-140. doi: 10.1080/21550085.2016.1204055.
- Jameton, A. 2016. “Chapter 10. Environmental Health Ethics.“ In Frumkin H, ed., Environmental Health from Global to Local, 3rd ed., pp. 291-249. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Brittin, J., Elijah-Barnwell, S., Nam, Y., Araz, O., Friedow, B., Jameton, A., Drummond, W., Huang, TK. 2015. “Community-Engaged Public Health Research to Inform Hospital Campus Planning in a Low Socioeconomic Status Urban Neighborhood.” HERD: Health Environments Research & Design Journal 8(4): 12-24. DOI: 10.1177/1937586715575908.
- Jameton, A. 2013. “3. Climate Change, Agriculture, and Public Health.” In Rogan EG, et al. Public Health Aspects of the Daugherty Water for Food Institute Strategic Plan. pp. 5-7. Reports: College of Public Health. 1. https://digitalcommons.unmc.edu/coph_reports/1
- Jameton, A. 2013. “A Reflection on Moral Distress in Nursing Together with a Current Application of the Concept.” Journal of Bioethical Inquiry 10(3): 297-308. doi: 10.1007/s11673-013-9466-3.
- Garr, DR., Margalit, R., Jameton, A., Cerra, FB. 2012. “Commentary: Educating the Present and Future Health Care Workforce to Provide Care to Populations.” Academic Medicine 87(9): 1159-1160. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e3182628d59.
- Jameton, A. 2010. “Climate Change Ethics.” Lahey Clinic Journal of Medical Ethics 17(2): 1-2, 7-8.
- Jameton, A. 2010. “Ética de la Salud Ambiental.” In Frumkin H, ed., Salud Ambiental: De lo Global a lo Local, pp. 155-183. Washington, DC: Organización Panamericana de la Salud, Organización Mundial de la Salud.
- Jameton, A. 2010. “Chapter 7: Environmental Health Ethics.” In Frumkin H, ed., Environmental Health: From Global to Local, 2nd ed, pp. 195-226. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Whitehouse, P., Zabinski, J., Jameton, A., Smith, C. 2010. “Health Care Industry.” In Laszlo C, Christensen K, Fogel D, Wagner G, Whitehouse P, eds., Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability, Volume 2, The Business of Sustainability, pp. 260-267. Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing Group.
- Jameton, A. 2009. “Medicine’s Role in Mitigating the Effects of Climate Change.” Virtual Mentor 11(6): 465-469. Available at: http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2009/06/msoc1-0906.html.
- Jameton, A. 2005. “Environmental Health Ethics.” In Frumkin H, ed., Environmental Health: From Global to Local, pp. 143-169. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Jameton, A. 2004. “Some Ethical Issues Regarding the use of Potentially Toxic Materials in Health Care: a Response to DEHP Exposure.” Pediatric Nursing 30(5):406, 433
Pierce, J., Jameton, A; 2004. The Ethics of Environmentally Responsible Health Care. New York: Oxford University Press.